Monday, January 21, 2008

Things That Annoy Me at Work, 1

For some reason whenever someone utters the phrase, "Can I get in that _____" whether it be sink, or oven, it just sets a switch off in my brain.

Our kitchen is small, and often used by various other cooks, and though technically its my domain, I still have to bend sometimes, and let other people use the space.

Oven space is constantly an issue.

So whenever someone asks to use it, that alone gets me. But I realize that's par for the course. But then they ask in this certain phrase, that everyone uses. They say, "Can I get in that oven?" I just automatically respond with, "yeah, but dude, life is so worth living..." Why that phrase? Why does that bother me so much?

Or once, there was this time, when a rather rotund staff member asked, "Can I jump in that sink real quick," I thought to myself, "you can try, but I don't think you'll fit."

I did the choke laugh, the one where you kinda cough, because you don't want to laugh out loud, and then have to awkwardly keep coughing to cover it up. Sometimes I do make myself laugh. Almost publicly.

Is there a word for that action, the choke cough?

There should also be a word for the type of conversation that you have no choice but to overhear, one that is exactly lacking in any sort of interest and/or significant content to your self, but you can't shut it off.

I go through that everyday.

I wonder how I keep my sanity.


Somebody once asked why I'm so quiet at work.

Actually, no one has really asked that question of me.

I just wanted to say that somebody did (to segue into this next bit).

Cause I imagine myself being asked this question while I'm working.

Only because I want to reply with, "have you seen the people I work with? The less you talk, the better off you are." Which is a line I think I saw in a movie, and have promptly stolen for my own personal use. Through my actions.

...


Oh, and when people comment on how cold it is outside. Especially when they're talking to the guys that work outside.

My friend with that job once kept a tally on how many people have said that since October.

Like, over fifty hatch marks. By December.

Then again it is like single digits out there, right now, on this fine eve.

This state has a brutal winter sometimes.

(I know it could be worse... it still sucks though.)

No comments: