Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Winter Rains, Part Two and Part Three

Part Two:

Utter agony. Upon my arrival to work, my day quickly went from bad to horrible, and all it took was my inventorying of our product. Suspiciously we had somehow run out of many a product, and considering that the day before was Sunday, a Sunday that included a great blizzard the night before, well, I was kinda in awe since we had little to no business.

Then I noticed that there were no product was dated from Sunday, meaning that my counterpart had called in sick to work, and that no one had covered his shift. That "no one" being my boss who was there on Sunday, who is technically responsible to do so in Counterpart's absence.

That meant double work for me! Yes!

So I spent the day in utter anger, which I'm not typically prone to do, though I did notice that anger makes the day go faster, and can be a little more fun than the typical self-analyzing I do on a daily basis, wondering how I ended up in this place of employment. Not to mention bemoaning the bad choices I've made in this trip called 'life,' but that typically occurs later in the evening, and involves alcohol of some sort.

...

A call from G. later in the day only made this day go from horrible, to even more horrible, when she told me that the leak had decided to spread from one set of cabinets, to flow through the cabinet above the sink, and down into the cabinet that holds our meager collection of dishes and cups, and onto the counter top on the other side of the kitchen sink.

Fast Forward to coming home, (since nothing remotely interesting happened with the rest of my day):

So, looking from left to right, we see numerous drips out of one cabinet into the bathroom garbage can that has since turned into a water collecting 'bucket,' which of course is just not wide enough to contain all said drips, leaving one drip on either side to drip freely as it may.

Then there's the cabinets above the sink that water is now flowing through. And of course, this being my cursed life, there is suspiciously NO drips of water actually dripping into the kitchen sink, which would have been extremely useful.

Then there's the dish cabinet, which is slowly dripping water along the entire length of it, into all of our bowls and pans and pots spread along the counter top in a row, filling with red, brackish roof water.

We simply stood and stared at this mess our kitchen has become, because really, that is all we can do. Stare in awe and wonderment. And then laugh, and stop laughing, and laugh some more.

Imagine 37 different drips, each one unique in pitch and octave, which could have been a strangely beautiful thing to behold, if it didn't mean the destruction of our kitchen, and that I would be going to sleep that night with a symphony of water torture going on all night long. That leaky faucet dripping that keeps you up all night multiplied by 37.

And of course my bedroom happens to be right next to the kitchen.

Luckily I turned the fan on medium, and made sure to drink an extra glass of wine to ensure I would pass out quickly enough, and I am pleased to say that it worked, and I slept soundly, except for those thoughts of water leaking into my bedroom, and on my bed, which thankfully did not turn into reality.

...

Part Three:


The man came into our kitchen to survey the damage this morning. While he was unable to ascertain the cause of the destruction, he did inform us of some interesting factoids about septic systems and the nature of old fuse boxes and fuses, which this old house uses.

I liked this man. He had a good-natured quality to him. Again, the leakage could not be stopped, but he did replace some fuses, and we now have two working outlets in our bedrooms, as opposed to only one.

The new problem, however, happens to be the one fuse that he knocked loose, which is still loose, which controls the power to the refrigerator, which I found to be shut off when I returned home from work.

Jiggling it around will get it to function, but the problem still remains, that it is still loose, which can turn my fridge off at any unsuspecting moment.

Sigh.

But as of this posting, the leak has stopped, the symphony is quiet and still, though we are unsure if anyone has actually fixed anything, i.e. the roof, or if it is merely the warmer night air. G. is currently cleaning up the mess, which I should be helping with, but instead I'm writing this. Sorry.

Unresponsive Landlord has become Very Apologetic Landlord, and this comforts me somewhat.

He means well.

I think.

...

Some day, and I hope that day comes soon, I hope I find myself asking myself, "what else can go right?"

Cause its been the other way around for sometime now.

But surprisingly, my spirits are holding. In fact, despite the anger of Monday, I'm actually in a really good mood right now.

Tune in tomorrow for Part Four, The Reckoning

No comments: