Monday, December 3, 2007

"Waiting for the front door to splinter... waiting all winter..."

The knock on the door startled me from my Sunday breakfast: one raspberry sour cream muffin, one small coffee, and one clementine. As I opened the door, a hand holding one bottle of Charles Shaw Cabernet (Three Buck Chuck, thank you Trader Joe's for understanding my fondness for cheap wine) floated in seemingly out of nowhere.


Such a fine offering, one I gladly accepted, from my new roommate.


We cracked that bottle open, and using two of the four available glasses left in the cupboard, poured ourselves a Sunday afternoon treat as we set about the business of planning our new living arrangement.

...


As per my request, I kept the little room in the back.

What once was referred to as the Man-room, has become my room.

While G went about the business of bringing her things in, I sat on my bed trying to visualize a new arrangement, and I'll admit I sat there a good while, completely dumbfounded.

It wasn't the spatial properties, nor the lack of usable outlets, nor the odd corner closest that juts out, which is fairly small to be of any real use for storage.

It was the fact that this room was mine, completely mine, and mine alone.

It took me a while to realize I didn't need to consult anyone else for decorating, get the ok to put that there, that these were my decisions...

Its a slow awakening.

Finding myself beholden only to me.

...

Cruel winter. Its absolutely freezing out, and the wind has just blown my front door open, which kinda spooked me. I peeked outside, half expecting a shadowy form lurking there, but no one was there. Just the freezing blast of arctic air.

And though it may be cold, I don't think anything can come between me and my love of tacos. The Pub may be far, but hunger drives me ever onward.

...

And thank you to the Mountain Goats, for the aptly named/themed "Get Lonely" album. Very few strings holding this guy together. It is one of them. Though, I suppose, I probably should be listening to something a little more uplifting. Any one got any suggestions for a decent post-engagement/relationship album to get lost in? Would be appreciated.

1 comment:

Lass. said...

Hmm....I've been listening to a lot of Warren Zevon lately - very sardonic (and lovely at the same time). I'd recommend "The Envoy" cd...

Also the door-blowing-open thing - Sean and I were watching the Amityville Horror last night and THE SAME THING HAPPENED in that movie! So, it was probably just Satan saying hi. Nothin' to worry about.

Also, tacos are a staple of my weekly diet.

Also, um, nothing.