Sunday, February 24, 2008

Sick Boy

I was preparing myself a spot of tea, sometime in the evening. Suddenly I became lightheaded, so I sat down in the rocking chair, hoping the feeling would pass. Then the cold began, my body shivering uncontrollably, my teeth chattering, despite it actually not being so cold for once.

I put on a sweater and lay in bed under the blankets, watching a movie on my laptop, the laptop on my chest providing slight warmth, though the cold simply would not subside.

After the movie ended, I attempted to sleep. I could feel my chest exploding with heat, though the core of my body felt icy cold. Then I began to sweat uncontrollably. After ten minutes I had to switch positions on my bed, because my blankets became waterlogged, and then the cold set in. I rolled around like this for much of the night, in between switching sides on the bed I had some amazing fever dreams, dreams of vivid mountain landscapes, an airplane that had no walls and you could look over the edge and see the world below, going skiing down an incredible mountain, though the snow was melting...

I've been pretty lucky this season, dodging most of the colds and such going around. I guess I was due to get sick. But ugh, not like this. I'm just amazed at how quickly it hit, suddenly out of no where, and bam, I'm down.

I had one brief excursion today, otherwise I've been in bed all day long.

I needed to gather my sick supplies, which consist of Maker's Mark for the hot toddies, and Chinese food, namely the Hot and Sour soup, cause that stuff does wonders. Otherwise its bed rest for me, and lots and lots of movies, and or video games. One of the few times I don't feel as guilty about playing video games, is when I'm sick. My mental capacity can't exactly handle much more stimulation.

I just pray I can get a decent night's sleep. I felt like I was practically swimming through my sheets. Ugh!

...

I heard birds chirping this morning. I had almost forgot what they sounded like. This gave me hope, hope that spring will be here soon. The birds must know something that I do not. Even though it probably won't really get all that warm until May, some days that is all the push I need, the telltale signs that winter's cold grip is releasing.

Every day we get about six more seconds of day light. That is a good thing.

1 comment:

Ted Danyluk said...

I hope you feel better soon. Did you get any sinus problems? My whole family got this virus. It's a doozy. Just like you said, it heits without any warning. I got the chills one late night, and was shaking as violently as a seizure, I was almost out of breathe. And the shaking lasted until the wee hours of the morning. Couldn't sleep. Next day a huge migraine, and couldn't move, so I slept every other hour.

Good thing is that I took some great care and ate rice porridge and mint tea with whole limes squeezed in, and a touch of honey. So I got over it in only a couple days, but still hacking up nasty lung phlegm for weeks. Nasty bug indeed, and I hope you get over it sooner than later.

I too heard a group of birds behind a house while on a walk from the bus station to work. It sounded like they were laughing. They were so loud and talking about spring and about all the food they were going to start nibbling on. So great.

And now that my lagering is coming to a close, I too do not need this winter anymore.

Take care my friend.