Tuesday, February 12, 2008

I Want to be a Time Lord

Hey gang. Let me introduce you to the month of February, my least favorite one, the one we like to call, "the Deal Breaker."

February is home to many great events and holidays, such as the ever popular President's day (my personal fave is CC, that's Calvin Coolidge to you, sucka!), and that other Hallmark nationally sponsored day of disgust, Valentine's Day, in which according to this culture, one must either:

A. Utterly bemoan one's fate and endlessly stress over the fact they are currently not in a relationship, feel sorry for one's self, wear all black, etc. Or,

B. Utterly bemoan one's fate and endlessly stress over what to do for the person they are currently in a relationship with, usually resulting in some sort of flashy display that the person's significant other will then gush over and compare with their friend's over whose mate had the best gift, gesture of love, etc, which basically all boils down to how much money someone spent on someone else.

We here are not bitter one bit. Nope. Never cared for VD much to begin with, in or out of a relationship, and especially not now. In the last few days I've actually been feeling quite splendid about being single. To me, it shall be just another day.

Besides, why set aside one day of the year to celebrate one's mate. Me thinks if you're truly in love with someone, that it should be celebrated pretty much every day. That goes for the sexin' up part of things to.

But I digress.

...

February is also known to possess the most wonderful of weather patterns, fully showing the grace and beauty of Mother Nature's Winter season. If by "wonderful" you mean "Oh my god it is so dark and gray I would like to kill myself now," and "weather patterns" to mean "endless, very short days of endless, overcast cloud cover, and sleet, snow storms and ice, and maybe if we're lucky we'll see the sun for about ten seconds one day towards the end of the month, if I make it that far..."

Especially if one resides in Michigan. We are currently in the midst of our fourth (?) major snow storm, getting around 6-8 inches of snow. All this after the coldest night ever that happened a couple nights ago, where the temperature fell below zero, and with wind chill, hovered like death around the -25 degree mark. That night happening after the amazing rain, sleet, ice, finally snow storm the day before that, rendering all roads completely screwed, and reportedly the fine city I reside in has officially run out of salt to dump on the roads.

There are times when I'm glad I do not possess a vehicle.

...

Luckily February is also the shortest month of the year. Sorry Black History Month, you guys get the shaft once again.

Except for Leap Year! Leap Year totally rocks! Where we pull an extra day from out of a hat and throw it on the end of the shittiest month. Here's one more day of hell for you!

Actually I'm well aware of the odd little quirks about our calendar, and am actually glad for it, because thanks to Leap year, somehow this month of dread turned out to be a three paycheck month. Cha-Ching! In your face February! That and people born on February 29th, if they happen to be 28, they are legally, technically, in fact only seven years old.

Hooray for February! I only want to know why we spell February with an "r" after the "b," when no one actually pronounces it.

...

Well, despite the weather, I'm feeling ok for once. My friend told me of a super awesome website that will probably be shut down at some point soon, where you can watch movies and tv shows for free. I've been on said website pretty much all of my free time, currently watching the entire Dr Who series (the newish one), which is fantastical and supremely rad (and British!), and also making this guy extremely happy almost to the point of tears, that show is so good.

Though I did manage to pull myself away for a couple nights out to the bar to drink entirely way too much til way too late in the morning, celebrating the leaving of yet another awesome citizen of this town, who shall be missed greatly.

I almost bought her car, the implications of which astounded me greatly, like, that I'd even consider buying a car, almost entirely on a whim. Sadly, the vehicle was not in the best shape, and is a manual (I can't drive stick. Hardly at all.) and is prone to stall out for no reason while on the road. Price wise a good choice, but overall not the best choice for me, considering I've never owned a car. Though she did convince me this vehicle would get me to Texas, but probably not much further.

Other things I've almost accomplished in the last week: Almost had band practice tonight, but everyone is feeling crappy, so no. Almost cleaned my room. Almost took a shower. Almost updated this blog. Almost attended the "Dirty Show" in Detroit, a festival of crazy people and their creative acts of sex, or sexual related something or other, which if I had gone, I almost would have seen lots of live boobies. Sigh. And almost flirted with a girl at the bar. She's either sending me signals I cannot interpret, or not sending signals at all and just being her friendly self. I can never figure it out. Usually they have to beat me over the head with it.

Anyway, if any one needs me, I'll be in the Tardis, with my sonic screwdriver, running away from the Daleks.

Um, that's nerd speak for watching more Dr. Who.

No comments: