Monday, March 24, 2008

Concerning movement

I called my parents on Easter Sunday. I'll admit, its been a while since I've talked to them. I'm not exactly the best son in the world concerning keeping in touch with them.

They inquired about my thoughts concerning a job search, or at least a career path to embark upon, though I gave them the standard answer I've given them for years now, "yeah, thinking about stuff...blah blah, etc, etc..." Then I told them I was heavily pondering a move down south, and then, _____, awkward silence... Some questions concerning jobs down there, where I'd stay, and then a change of subject.

Which kind of hurt, to be honest. I mean, they have been supportive of me over the years, bailed me out one time, and helped with moves in the past. I'd like to think I'm a bit more capable as an adult, have a somewhat stronger head on my shoulders. I just didn't get the feeling they were going to stand behind me on this issue.

Not like I need their permission. But a little support is all I'm asking for...

I don't know, it just kind of put me in a sour mood last night, among other things.

...

Because I can't fathom staying in this town much longer. Granted I've said it so many times before, the gotta-get-out speech. I've seen so many people say it, and then do it, and then come back, like a giant swirling vortex, sucking you back in.

"Still, its not a bad place to be stuck in."

There's just too much here. Too many memories, and ghosts haunting all of the sidewalks I've walked down before. Ghosts in the bars, ghosts in the job I've worked at for over four years, the endless faces that come and go.

...

I had a good, long talk with my enabler, C. who lives out in California, calling me from on top of a mountain looking out over valleys and two lakes, who is currently watching his "babies" grow, his fine, fine crop of green goodness.

He always gets me riled up with thoughts of adventure, of the mystical and magical nature of living your life the way you want to live it. He's making plans for a cross-country motorcycle road trip, and part of the plan is visiting me when I move to Austin, and the rest of our friends there...

And so I've been saying it more and more, saying it out loud to people, "I'm planning on moving," in the hopes that it will actually sink into my head, that I will do it.

...

And L. Marge played a very hilarious joke on some coworkers today, involving placing a hard boiled egg inside one of the roasting chickens that my coworkers have to pick the meat off of. We just happened to be training someone new today, and they gasped when they discovered the egg, "Its got an egg in it!" A nice little treat for the new person. A brilliant joke.

No comments: