Wednesday, October 3, 2007

More Than a Feeling Forever!

Due to a certain someone's contest announcement, i've decided to do a little research on my fair state.

I found that my state's motto is actually, "if you seek a pleasant peninsula, look around you." Which truth be told, is a pretty lame motto. I mean, are these really words to live by, our solemn vows?

Don't get me wrong, i enjoy me a good peninsula. Shee-iiittt!, i love me some peninsula. But that's not exactly what inspired me to move here. And trust me, i've looked around me, but i haven't seen any good peninsulas around this town.

...

My state's slogan is actually "Water Wonderland" due to the fact that Minnesota already has claims to the slogan of "Land of 10,000 lakes." Which is odd because Minnesota actually has about 15,000 inland lakes, whereas we only have about 11,000 (and counting) lakes in Michigan.

Goddamn Minnesotans. Liars all of you.

Again, i have to say "Water Wonderland" is equally lame. And not much of a slogan to boot.

...

Ever notice how whatever state in the union you live in, there's always another state that is your state's sworn enemy and mortal arch-nemesis. Like, Illinois Vs. Wisconsin. Michigan Vs. Ohio. Where did these hatreds begin? Why do we perpetuate them? And i hope its not simply sports related. I want violent histories of revenge and blood-lust. Wrongs being righted. Blood having blood having blood. Wergild.

...

If my early memories of growing up in the Chicago suburbs serve me right, "Yes! Michigan! The Feeling's Forever," was merely an ad campaign to lure unsuspecting peoples over here for tourism or other such nonsense. I remember the commercials. (I always remember the commercials. How much of my brain capacity is strictly devoted to remembering commercials?) Not quite worthy of the motto, or slogan status, but how can you compete with the above examples?

It really is true, though. The feeling is forever. And ever. And ever. And ever. With pleasant peninsulas all around. Forever-ever.

...

Well, this entry of fun-filled Michigan facts was brought to you by my good friend, Charles Shaw.

Plenty more facts to come!

...

Ps. What is the difference between slogan and motto anyway?

1 comment:

Lass. said...

Slogan and motto are somewhat interchangeable, depending on the usage. However, a motto is usually an expression of a guiding principle or tenet while slogans are typically catch-phrases linked to advertising or political campaigns. And yes, I actually knew this. Color me geek.